BMW releases electrification road map, expect hybirds and full EVs starting in 2021

doublespaces

Administrator
Jul 31, 2017
doublespaces submitted a new blog post

BMW releases electrification road map, expect hybirds and full EVs starting in 2021

Manufacturers have been climbing the electrification ladder and BMW is no exception with their previous releases of the BMW i3 and i8. By 2025 BMW Group intends on having 25 different electrified models, which include the already announced i8 Roadster and electrified Mini. The iX3 will likely be the next BMW to have the covers pulled and perhaps even an i9 model.

BMW's modular battery packs for plug-in hybirds will come in three different sizes also designated in the model name, "30e - 60 kWh, 40e - 90 kWh, 50e - 120 kWh" allowing ranges up to 70 miles. The 50e battery packs will be exclusive to the Luxury class vehicles, likely due to the range issues presented by their weight and size.

All wheel drive is optional on the 'regular' models while the performance models have it standard, with a torque vectoring option.

Electric power can range from 100 kW (136hp) to 300 kW ( 408hp) and accelerate from 0-100 km/s in less than 3 seconds. It also appears certain models will also be able to charge at speeds above 150 kW.